Our professional staff recently written articles on many current tax topics which are outlined below. If you would like any further information regarding any of the mentioned articles, please contact the representative staff member for more information.
- GST/HST new housing rebate – Geoffrey Blasutti
- 2018 Federal Budget – What private corporations need to know – Brendan McCann
- An alternative way to making charitable donations – Brendan McCann
- Ignoring US tax implications is not good tax planning – Sylvia Brokalakis
- New requirements for reporting the sale of your principal residence – Geoffrey Blasutti
- Where is my Notice of Assessment and what is this letter requesting additional information? – Dan Nguyen
- The pitfalls of blindly throwing money into your RRSP – Brendan McCann
- Taxation issues for non-resident owners of Canadian rental properties – Brendan McCann
- Cyprus tax residency provides many benefits for Canadians – Warren McCann
- Tax Considerations for U.S. Citizens Living in Canada – Sylvia Brokalakis
- 2018 Automobile Deduction Limits for business – Brendan McCann
- The Taxation of Non-Resident Entertainers in Canada – Warren McCann
Outlined below is the professional accomplishments of our staff as well their contributions to local and national media.
- In December 2018, Dan Nguyen passed the CPA Canada Common Final Evaluation exam (CFE). The CFE is a three-day national exam held annually in September that tests candidates’ proficiency in the competencies required to practice public accounting.
- In June 2018, Geoffrey Blasutti completed the GST/HST In-Depth tax course which is hosted by CPA Canada.
- In April 2018, Warren McCann was interviewed on CBC News discussing the taxation of cryptocurrency.
- In May 2017, Warren McCann was interviewed on 640 Radio on the US filing requirements for Americans citizens living in Canada.
- In January 2017, Warren McCann was quoted in an article on Advisor.ca called “Financial advice for the Bachelor”. The article is based on the TV show The Bachelor. Warren discusses the tax implications of the residuals appearances fees for being on the show.
- In March 2016, Warren McCann was quoted in on the article on Tangerine.ca called “Biggest mistakes people make on their income tax returns”. Warren discusses the disability tax credit and the potential cost to you if you quality and do not apply.
- In December 2015, Geoffrey Blasutti passed the CPA Canada Common Final Evaluation exam (CFE). The CFE is a three-day national exam held annually in September that tests candidates’ proficiency in the competencies required to practice public accounting.
- Geoffrey graduated from McMaster University in 2014 obtaining an Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree with summa cum laude distinction.
- In November 2014, Warren McCann was quoted in an article on Advisor.ca about the tax implications facing Canadians who move to another country and try to become non-residents. He discussed the requirements to become a non-resident and the consequences facing taxpayers who haven’t severed ties in accordance to CRA guidelines.
- All professional staff at McCann & Associates LLP have been approved for US PTIN tax prepare numbers by the US Treasury Department. New US legislation requires all foreign US tax return preparers to have PTIN numbers displayed on filed tax returns or they will be rejected by the IRS.